05/19/20138:30 am Worship
11:30 am Sunday School
9:20 am Christian Education
10:30 am Worship
11:30 am Korean Church
05/20/20136:00 pm Leadership B
05/24/20137:00 pm ACOA Group
05/28/20135:00 pm Afternoon Prayer
05/31/20137:00 pm ACOA Group
On Palm Sunday, 1946 Mt. Zion was established as a mission congregation for veterans returning from WW II and their growing families.
Located on 120th and North Avenue, Mt Zion was seen as a convenient location for the burgeoning neighborhoods “way out,” near the county line.
As the post WW II 'baby boom' and the economy grew, Mt. Zion built its first building; now the Chapel. Over the next 20 years, the main sanctuary, offices, and educational structure were added. The congregation grew to more than 2,000 members.
Mt. Zion is recognized as a friendly home to music and other arts. The stained glass windows are jewels of religious art; designed and built by world-renowned artists under the auspices of Conrad Schmidt. The building and grounds represent a mixture of modernism and prairie style architecture.
Although membership has decreased over the past 20 years the spirit and mission of the Mt Zion community have increased. We have a reputation as a safe harbor for the non-traditional; a strong voice for justice; and a passion for making connections with people in the city of Milwaukee.
Mt. Zion has been home to two Lutheran bishops, serves the wider church through benevolence, work camps in service to America’s poor, and sojourns to Africa and Central America and hosts events for the community’s mentally and physically challenged.
Our important history and identity isn’t groundbreaking dates, new additions or statistics — the important history lies in the hearts of all those who have gone before — those who have dared walk with the poor; made financial sacrifices to care for the elderly; the challenged, and the marginalized. Our past lies in the gifts of those who helped the campus and mission continue to grow and stay healthy. Our history lies with all the saints.